Ordos, August 19, 2012 – Hong Kong’s Marchy Lee with Audi Ultra scored a perfect weekend at the Inner Mongolian Ordos International Circuit, earning pole position and scoring victories in both Rounds 5&6 of the Audi R8 LMS Cup.
Lee, who also drove the fastest laps in each race, did not put a foot wrong all weekend in his Audi R8 LMS Cup car and his results have vaulted him into first in the fight for the championship, two points ahead of rising star Adderly Fong with KLM Team in his first season of sportscar racing.
Former Formula 1 driver Alex Yoong with Audi GQ is third in the championship a further 23 points behind . While Yoong finished second in Round 5, the Malaysian was forced to retire early in Round 6. Yoong spun and his restart resulted in a gearbox problem.
Fong, who finished fifth in Round 5, scored a second-place finish in Round 6, but could not match Lee’s pace, crossing the finish line 14.198 seconds behind. Third in Round 5 was Charlie-Ro Charlz, who earned his second third-place finish in as many races. Charlz made his Audi R8 LMS Cup debut in Ordos, filling in for injured Audi Castrol driver Zhang Ran this weekend. Australian Charlz easily adapted to his smooth-handling Audi R8 LMS Cup car during qualifying, before piling on the pressure on Yoong in Round 5.
Commented Director of Audi Sport customer racing in China, Rene Koneberg: “We’re delighted that three of our Audi China teams swept the podium in Round 5 for the first time in series history.”
Just in its first season, the Audi R8 LMS Cup, the marque’s first-ever one-makes racing series, is already gaining international attention and raising the bar on Asian motorsport.
- Audi R8 LMS Cup China Round 4 Zhuhai last-lap drama (gridmotorsportblog.com)
- Lamborghini Super Trofeo Asia – Round 3 Ordos, China (gridmotorsportblog.com)
- Audi RS Q3 Concept First Look (motortrend.com)
- Long Term 2012 Audi A8 Update 2 (motortrend.com)
- Audi R8 E-Tron laps ‘Ring in record-setting 8:09, celebrates silently – Autoblog (blog) (autoblog.com)
- Watch out Tesla, here comes the Audi e-tron (reviews.cnet.com)
- Licensed to Thrill (todayonline.com)