The Ferrari 458 Challenge APAC Opener at ZIC, Zhuhai
On 18-19th June, the APAC Series of the Ferrari 458 Challenge Trofeo Pirelli was held at ZIC – Zhuhai, China. With twenty two 458 Challenge cars taking part in the hands of novice owners making their track debut in the Coppa Shell and those with more racing experience involved in the Trofeo Pirelli.
Zhuhai, 19 June –The Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli, already one of the most popular international one-make motor racing series has expanded this year with the arrival of the APAC series, which takes place over five rounds and then joins the Ferrari World Finals in November, when competitors in all four divisions – Italy, Europe, North American and APAC, will go head to head to fight for the world title.
The race in Zhuhai gave competitors the chance to try their hand in their own cars, in a structured manner with technical and logistical help on hand as well as a large hospitality area with all the facilities required and a nerve centre for drivers, teams and sponsors. As in the other series, the race programme consists of two 30 minute qualifying sessions to decide grid positions for the two races held on Sunday and in each leg, a point is given to the driver on pole and the one who sets the fastest race lap. The format ensures makes for very closely contested racing, with plenty of action from start to finish.
The fact there are separate classifications for the two levels of driver also avoids having any unfair competition. This new series has got off to a successful start with twenty two cars taking part in the first round of the season.
The first race in the APAC series ended in victory for Anthony LIU (China). He crossed the line ahead of Ringo CHONG (Singapore) driving for Ferrari authorized dealer in WUHAN and Hisamori HAYASHI (Japan). All three of them put a great show, racing hard all the way. Equally closely fought was the fight for podium places among the gentleman drivers in the Coppa Shell, where Gregory TEO (Singapore) got the upper hand of Siwon RYU (South Korea) and Rudi LAKSMANA (Indonesia).
Making it to the top step of the podium in the Trofeo Pirelli at the end of Race 2 was Anthony LIU (China) who beat ZHANG Shanqi (China) and Hisamori HAYASHI (Japan). All three drivers did not put a foot wrong throughout. In the Coppa Shell, Race 2 saw Siwon RYU (South Korea) take a fantastic win, crossing the line ahead of Steve WYATT (Australia) and Tiger WU (Chinese Taipei).
- Ferrari hopes Pirelli swerves hard tyre for Silverstone (inautonews.com)
- Against All Odds – Pan Delta Summer 2011 (tommyhwchan.wordpress.com)
- Video: EVO drags the 911 Turbo S, McLaren MP4-12C, Ferrari 458, Noble M600 (autoblog.com)
- Lotus CEO talks smack about Ferrari 458, McLaren MP4-12C (carinfoweekly.wordpress.com)
- Ferrari 458 Challenge makes world debut (topgear.com)
- Video: Fifth Gear pits McLaren MP4-12c against Ferrari 458 Italia (autoblog.com)
- Ferrari 458 Challenge and GT3 racers debut at Monza [w/video] (autoblog.com)
- Ferrari Racing Days at Laguna Seca: A closer look at the 458 Challenge (autoblog.com)
- Ferrari 458 Challenge Unveiled At Maranello (lifetoup.com)
- Video: Ferrari 458 Italia – the Racing Cockpit (theoriginalwinger.com)
- Ferrari 458 Challenge at Monza (topgear.com)
- Video: Ferrari 458 Challenge demonstrates evolution of the breed on Laguna Seca’s Corkscrew (autoblog.com)
- 2011 Ferrari 458 Challenge (autoandracingnews.wordpress.com)
- Launch of the New FF Ferrari Four – Crazy Performance, For Rich Family (tommyhwchan.wordpress.com)